Saturday, July 12, 2008

A Closer Look: Reducing

Here we are, at the final R of the trio. I have to say that this was the hardest R to research out of the three. I had to try a couple searches in order to get the right keywords to bring up pages that were relevant. But I did find a few gems.

Reducing is just as easy as it sounds. And if you are practicing your other two R's (reusing and recycling) you are have already laid the ground work to start effectively reducing your waste as well! By shopping smart and cutting back on the amount of stuff you throw away, you are reducing! A compost box is a way to reduce your trash output and so is taking canvas bags to the grocery store instead of using the plastic bags they give you. The Minnesota Pollution Control Agency has a pretty cool website that has tips for reducing waste divided up by where you want to reduce your waste output (like at home or the office).

I found this consumer handbook put out by the Environmental Protection Agency to help you start reducing your trash output, and from the parts that I've read it pretty much says things that you already know. But it does offer links and information for educating others which could come in handy if you're a parent or if you know someone who wants some more information.

And I found this article from that lovely website by the California Waste Management Board (they cover so many topics!) about how to reduce waste during the holiday season! Which, when you think about it, is probably the time of the year that we produce the most waste. I know how much wrapping paper we use at my house every year and it boggles my mind to think about the landfills if everyone in America had the same amount as we do.

So there you have it ... the three R's explored a little deeper. I hope that these few articles have helped you learn ways to incorporate the three R's into your life and possibly even gotten you excited about doing it!

No comments: